Blue Back Square turned pink on Thursday, as the second annual Pink Party was held to shine a light on breast cancer awareness.
Several thousand people - many of whom were clad in pink - descended on Isham Road, where the pink carpets were rolled out for a survivor fashion show, during which women were outfitted in the latest fall fashions from nearby retailers.
While the atmosphere was festive, the underlying cause was anything but.
The statistics are sobering:
At some point in their life, one in eight women will receive a breast cancer diagnosis.
Connecticut has the second highest incidence of breast cancer in the United States.
Three thousand women in Connecticut will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year.
Connecticut ranks 35th out of 50 states in breast cancer mortality.
With October serving as Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the town, Blue Back Square, the Hartford Courant, West Hartford Center Business Association, West Hartford Chamber of Commerce, and Susan G. Komen for the Cure CT all teamed to sponsor the Pink Party.
Dr. Kimberly Caprio of St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center said that, until a cure can be found, the best defense is early detection and screening.
Women should know their risk factors and their family histories, Caprio said, with breast exams beginning at 25 years of age and mammograms starting at 40.
Proceeds from the event were donated to Komen for the Cure CT - 75 percent of which goes to education and screenings for lower income women, and the other 25 percent of which is dedicated to cutting-edge research.Check out the photo gallery to see some of the scenes.