Submitted by Komen Connecticut
Bells were sounding as the Connecticut Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure Executive Director, Anne Morris recognized National Breast Cancer Awareness Month by opening the NASDAQ Stock Market today in Times Square. Morris was joined by Komen Connecticut volunteers, board members and fundraisers to remind viewers that the fight against breast cancer starts with the individual.
“A woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every 2 minutes in the United States and this year over 40,000 women will die of the disease. We cannot stop the fight until we find the causes and cures and put an end to breast cancer forever,” Morris said. “Until we have the cures for breast cancer, early detection is the best protection!”
Komen Connecticut is working to ensure that Connecticut residents are not only hearing these messages, but have the resources to act on them. For each of the past three years, Komen Connecticut has made over $1 Million in community grants to local organizations, providing breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs for women in need.
Morris’ message of early detection came across loud and clear, being broadcast on the jumbotron in Times Square. After the commotion subsided, Morris thanked the 122 Affiliates across the country, as well as NASDAQ for their contributions to the fight against breast cancer. “With October upon us, there is no better time to raise awareness and educate the public about breast cancer. I thank NASDAQ for the tremendous opportunity to spread our messages on such a public platform.”
About the Connecticut Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Komen for the Cure’s presence in Connecticut began in 1994 with a Race for the Cure. Komen
Connecticut serves local communities by investing 75% of net proceeds in local breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs for women who otherwise could not afford it. The remaining 25% is invested in national research to find the causes and cures for the disease. Since 1994, Komen for the Cure has awarded more than $23 Million to programs in our local communities. For more information, visit KomenCT.org or call 860-321-7806.