1. It's Columbus Day! Schools, banks and public offices are closed, but if you're looking for something to do with the kids, the Connecticut Science Center in Hartford will be open from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. and The New Children's Museum in West Hartford will be open from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
2. Speaking of which, the King Tut exhibit opened last week at The New Children's Museum. According to the museum website: "Hieroglyphs serve as a guide through multiple enchanting exhibit rooms. See hundreds of fascinating replicas including the stunning funerary mask, mummification couch, weapons, tools, and cultural objects that were placed within the boy king’s tomb to help him on his journey to the afterlife. Learn more!"
3. Playhouse on Park will be opening its fourth season with "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck , which runs from Oct. 10 – 28. Season subscriptions are on sale now for all five shows in the season.
4. Have some great photos from the Park Road Parade or from another weekend event? Add them to our Pics & Clips so that the whole community can see them.
5. Quote: The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. - Pablo Picasso