1. Yes, we had several days off from school last week thanks to Hurricane Sandy, but don't forget that public schools are also closed on Tuesday, Election Day. And don't forget to vote!
2. It's not too early to starting thinking gingerbread. The annual Gingerbread House Show & Competition at Blue Back Square in West Hartford will be held Dec. 6-9, and the proceeds will go to Hartford Habitat.
3. West Hartford resident Alan Kramer has written a new musical that will premiere at the Watkinson School on Nov. 9-11. "Prospero's Island" is about teenage concentration camp residents who present a musical version of "The Tempest."
4. The Connecticut Better Business Bureau offers some timely advice about how to recognize "storm chasers" who are looking to repair homes damaged by storms.
5. Quote: Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte