.

Electrical Fire at Bishops Corner Construction Site Injures Two

Fire at future site of Neighborhood Market by Wal-Mart appears to have been caused by a contractor accidentally severing electrical wires.

West Hartford firefighters were called to the scene of an electrical fire at the site of the future Tuesday afternoon, after a contractor apparently accidentally cut through some electrical wiring.

The fire was reported shortly after 3 p.m. on Tuesday, at the 333 North Main Street site, and was extinguished quickly once power was cut to the electrical circuit, Battalion Chief John Deckers said.

Deckers said the fire appeared to have been caused by a contractor who accidentally severed a 1600 amp wire. "He was up and walking around when we arrived," said Deckers, but was transported to an area hospital for evaluation.

Another individual who was working on the site was also taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, Deckers said.

Fire officials said that there did not appear to be any significant property damage at the site.

The fire and smoke was localized just to the construction area, and all other businesses in the remained open throughout the incident.

Fire department officials said the premises were being ventilated and metered before construction could continue. They said work would likely resume on Wednesday morning.

The exact cause of the fire will be investigated, Deckers said.

Sammy D September 04, 2012 at 08:48 PM
not sure how anything owned by wal-mart could be considered neighborhood anything.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »