Man Arrested in Avon Standoff Had Five Guns, Police Say

Brian Benjamin, 53, is in lock-up on a $1 million bond and next appears in court on Jan. 29.

Police recovered five guns from the home where an overnight standoff occurred at the end of December.

Brian Benjamin, 53, pointed one of the handguns at his female roommate after she called police just before 2 p.m. on Dec. 30 following a confrontation with him about his drinking problem, the victim told police. A regional SWAT team later saw him pacing the 373 Lovely Street home holding a rifle with a scope around 10 p.m. during the standoff that lasted nearly 13 hours, police said.

Benjamin hasn't entered a pleas yet for charges of criminal possession of a pistol or revolver, second-degree threatening, first-degree criminal mischief, third-degree assault and interfering with a police officer, according to court documents. He is scheduled to appear in court again on Jan. 29. Benjamin is barred from any contact with the woman, identified in court document as his friend.

When police searched the home, they found three long guns — Remington Model 700 and 22 Caliber rifles and a Stevens Model 67 12-gauge shotgun — and two handguns — Super Titan FIE 380 Caliber and CBA Derringer handguns.

There were no matching records of registration information for any of the five guns in the Avon police database, police said. The guns don't seem to be registered to Benjamin, but the department is waiting for official confirmation, according to police.

Police evacuated three nearby Lovely Street homes soon after Benjamin barricaded himself into his home with a weapon nearly two weeks ago. Six more homes on Westmont Road were evacuated later that evening when Benjamin was spotted with the rifle.

James DiPace, Avon fire marshal and emergency management director, made arrangements at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Avon for people who needed a place to go for the night. No residents had to stand in the cold while waiting to return to their homes, police said.

Farmington, Simsbury, West Hartford, Bloomfield and Windsor police officers also aided Avon police.

Benjamin eventually came out of the home at 2:30 a.m. on Dec. 31 after officers fired tear gas rounds through the windows. He was subdued after police fired non-lethal bean bag rounds at him.

He was immediately brought to the Avon Police Department for booking after his release from medical care.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »