Police Chief Tracy Gove, fresh from two weeks at an FBI Leadership Academy, presided over a ceremony honoring the promotion of five West Hartford Police officers at Town Hall on Monday morning.
He told family, friends, and fellow police officers who gathered to honor those officers that more than anything, the leadership school reaffirmed what a great police department West Hartford has. "Instead of coming back with this great leadership wisdom, I would like to thank everyone," Gove said.
Gove also said that in the 10 months since he became chief, there has been a great deal of change within the department, including the hiring of 12 new officers, retirement of four, promotion of 15, and "more transfers between special divisions than I can track."
The most recent round of promotions, effective Oct. 1, are:
- Lieutenant Jeffrey Rose, a 23-year veteran of the West Hartford Police Department, has been promoted to Captain. "His file was full of commendation letters," Gove said. There are many highlights in Rose's career, including Exchange Club Officer of the Year in 2000 and recipient of the Kiwanis Club "Stars for Kids" award.
- Sergeant Kevin McCarthy has been promoted to Lieutenant. Gove said McCarthy, a 19-year veteran, is known for keeping a balance in his job – with a reputation for being a tough crime fighter as well as having a great relationship with the community.
- Detective Michael Camilleri has been promoted to Sergeant. Camilleri has been with West Hartford Police for 15 years, has 18 letters of commendation in his file, and was the American Legion Police Officer of the Year in 2006.
- Officer Phillip Mugford, a 27-year veteran of the West Hartford Police, has been promoted to Detective. Mugford is a long-time member of the SCUBA team and an advisor to the Police Explorers.
- Officer Benjamin DelMonte, a 6-year veteran who was honored by MADD in 2009 for his high number of DUI arrests, has been promoted to Detective.
In addition, the following assignments and transfers were effective Oct. 1:
- Captain Jeffrey Rose to Support Services
- Lieutenant Kevin McCarthy to Traffic Division
- Lieutenant Frank Fallon to Youth Services Division
- Lieutenant Andrew Schiffer to Training Division
- Lieutenant Theodore Stoneburner to Patrol Division
- Sergeant Michael Perruccio to Detective Division
- Sergeant Brett Balisciano to Community Interaction Team
- Sergeant Michael Camilleri to Patrol Division
- Detective Todd Myers to Special Investigations Division