January 1 is New Year's Day, and since it falls on a Tuesday this year that is the day it is observed as a federal holiday.
State and local government offices are closed and mail will not be delivered, but some businesses are open.
New Year's Eve, Dec. 31, is not a federal holiday, and most businesses will be open.
Here is a summary. Please add any other openings/closings in the comments below.
- West Hartford Town Hall: open Dec. 31, closed Jan. 1
- West Hartford Public Library: closing at 4 p.m. Dec. 31, closed Jan. 1
- West Hartford Public Schools: School resumes Jan. 2
- Banks: closed Jan. 1
- U.S. Post Offices: closed Jan. 1
- State government offices: closed Jan. 1
- State courts: closed Jan. 1
- Supermarkets: many open, check hours
- Retail stores, restaurants: many open, check hours
- New Year’s Eve, Monday, Dec. 31: Liquor stores and grocery stores with beer permits may sell during normal hours. Bars, restaurants and cafes may serve until 3 a.m. on Jan. 1.
- New Year’s Day, Tuesday, Jan. 1: Package stores closed both days, grocery stores may be open but the sale of beer is prohibited.
- New Year's Day, Tuesday, Jan. 1: Restaurants, bars, cafes, casinos (food must be available) may serve as permit allows for normal operation.
The Department of Motor Vehicles customer service centers are closed on Mondays as usual, and will also be closed for the New Year’s Day holiday on Tuesday, Jan. 1, reopening on Wednesday, Jan. 2, at 7:45 a.m.
Information about DEEP programs and state parks and forests may be found online at: www.ct.gov/deep
There will be a one-day delay in collection of trash, bulky collection, and recyclables this week.