Smith is one of West Hartford's two magnet elementary schools, and its focus is on science, math and technology. The school's original name was the Seymour School when it opened in 1915, though the original building was torn down in 1977. In 1948, the school was named after a long-time principal, Florence E. Smith. About 80 percent of the approximately 375 students in grades PreK-5 live in the Smith School neighborhood off South Quaker Lane. The rest apply to the magnet program from areas across town.